Sunday, December 21, 2014

Advertising

One of the greatest gifts I've received from thru-hiking is an understanding of how simple life is. When you carry all your possessions on your back all day and unpack and repack all those things every evening and every morning, you find that a lot of things that you once thought were necessary really aren't. Even something as simple and useful as a chair makes no sense to carry 14 hours a day and sit in for 1 hour a day. Eventually, all the unnecessary things in my pack got left behind. And I discovered great freedom in that simplicity.

A similar effect happened to my mind. Thoughts and feelings that were too heavy to carry were left behind too. And there was even greater freedom in that kind of simplicity.

After months of this, I became attuned to the sound of the breeze in the trees. My attention span grew to hours. I watched the sun cross the sky each day, and the moon wax and wane. Eventually I could even feel the seasons change.

Then I came back to television.

My first impression of advertising was how loud it is. It's rude. It grabbed my attention like someone's life was in danger. But it was for nothing. Worse than nothing. The purpose of advertising is to create demand for products. Think about that for a minute. Create demand. Demand for necessities doesn't need to be created. Ads tell us we won't be happy without their stuff; that we won't be beautiful without their products; that we won't be likable without their help; that there's something wrong with us.

It's all a lie.

4 comments:

Will Thomas said...

I've enjoyed all your trip/race reports and your Triple Calendar journal, but I think I'm enjoying these latest blog entries even more. Keep sharing with us what is going on up in that head of yours.

Rishabh said...

You nailed it. Keep running : )

Dr Ogudugu Solution Temple said...

I guess it is no longer a news that Dr.Ogudugu is the best spell caster, Winfield is my name and i have read good reviews about Dr.Ogudugu before i contacted him through these details via phone number +2348063739701 or via greatogudugu@gmail.com which i took from the Internet. I was so shocked when Dr.Ogudugu told me that once he cast the spell that my lover is going to come back within 48 hours and i was wondering how that could be possible but i must say i became the most happiest person on earth when my lover came back to me and since then i have been a huge fan of DR.OGUDUGU

SIMON PATCHIN said...

How to get your Ex Lover/boyfriend/girlfriend/wife or husband Back

I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can communicate with LORD ZAKUZA through the below informations.

Website via: lordzakuzaspells.com
WhatsApp/call/text: +1 740 573 9483
Email: Lordzakuza7 @gmail. com